21 Ocak 2016 Perşembe

CONJUNCTIONS

Text Box: CONJUNCTIONS and TRANSITIONSINTRODUCTION
Bağlaçlar (conjunctions),aynı gramer yapıya sahip (iki isini, iki sıfat, iki zarf gibi) sözcük ya da sözcük öbeklerini ve cümleleri bağlayan sözcüklerdir. Bunlar so, and, once gibi tek bir sözcükten oluşabilir ya da in order that, so that, as long as gibi bir sözcük öbeği de olabilirler.
Although she studied hard, she couldn't pass the exam.
Transitions ya da connectors diye isimlendirilen however, therefore, nevertheless gibi sözcükler ise sadece iki cümleyi bağlayan, bir düşünceden diğer bir düşünceye geçişi sağlayan cümle bağlaçlarıdır.
She studied hard; nevertheless, she couldn't pass the exam.
Bağlaçları üç grupta inceleyebiliriz:
1-   Coordinating conjunctions
2-   Correlative conjunctions
3-   Subordinating conjunctions
1-     COORDINATING CONJUNCTIONS
Bu bağlaçlar şunlardır: and, or, but, nor, so, for, yet
1-1     AND, OR, BUT ve YET, sözcükleri ya da cümleleri bağlamak için kullanılır.
AND aynı doğrultuda anlama sahip sözcükleri birleştirir (her ikisi de olumlu ya da her ikisi de olumsuz): beautiful and clever, sunny and warm, crowded and noisy, etc.
BUT ve YET "fakat, ama" anlamına gelir ve zıtlık vurgulayan, çelişen sözcükleri birleştirir: beautiful bul/yet stupid, cheap but/yet good, warm but/yet windy, etc.
OR seçenek sunarken "ya da" anlamında kullanılır: sooner or later, my parents or my sister, etc.
noun + and/but/or + noun
Cats and dogs don't get along well.
The dog but not the cat is known to be faithful.     
A toy or a game makes a good present for children.


adjective/adverb + and/but/yet/or + adjective/adverb
He drove the car slowly and carefully.
He drove the car fast but/yet carefully.
He is sleepy or bored.
infinitive/gerund + and/but/or + infinitive/gerund
I'd like to watch TV or (to) listen to some music.
I've decided to quit school and (to) find a job.
I like walking but not running.
verb + and/but/yet/or + verb
She opened her purse, took out some change and paid for the ticket.
She has a lot of qualifications and is very talented.
I looked everywhere for my glasses but couldn't find them.
She knows a lot about the job but isn't very keen to work.
She will stay in a dormitory or rent a house with friends.
1-2     AND, BUT, YET (fakat), OR, NOR, SO bu yüzden) ve FOR (çünkü) iki bağımsız cümleyi bağlayabilir.
İki tam cümleyi araya virgül koyarak arka arkaya ifade etmek mümkün değildir. Ancak birinci cümleyi noktalayıp ikinci cümleye geçebiliriz ya da arada bir bağlaç kullanırız. Bağlaçlar ikinci cümlenin başına gelir ve genellikle kendilerinden önce virgül kullanılır.
And, but ve or büyük harfle cümle başlatabilir ancak yine kendinden önceki cümleyle bağlantılıdır.
The children were playing. The parents were chatting.
The children were playing and the parents were chatting.
The children were playing, and the parents were chatting.
The children were playing. And the parents were chatting.
Yet, so ve for bağlaç olarak kullanıldıklarında kendilerinden önce virgül gelir.
She didn't feel well, so she didn't go to work.                                                                 
Kendini iyi hissetmiyordu bu yüzden işe gitmedi.
She didn't go to work, for she didn't feel well.
İşe gitmedi çünkü kendini iyi hissetmiyordu.
She didn't feel well, yet she still went to work.
Kendini iyi hissetmiyordu ama yine de işe gitti.




Nor bu şekilde bağlaç olarak kullanıldığında birinci cümle olumsuz olur ya da refuse, deny gibi olumsuz anlama sahip bir fiil içerir. Nor'un bağlı bulunduğu ikinci cümle ise devrik olur. Cümleyi devrik yapmak için yardımcı fiil+özne+eylem dizimi kullanılır.
He doesn't like meat, nor does he like fish.
Eti sevmediği gibi balığı da sevmez.
She herself didn't watch the film, nor did she let us watch it.
Filmi kendisi izlemediği gibi bizim izlememize de izin vermedi.
He refuses to take exercise, nor does he try to eat less.
Egzersiz yapmayı reddettiği gibi az yemeye de çalışmıyor.
2-  CORRELATIVE CONJUNCTIONS
Bu gruptaki bağlaçlar ikili olarak kullanılır: both... and, either...or, neither...nor, not only but also. Bu bağlaçlar iki özne, nesne, sıfat, zarf ve fiili, sözcük öbeğini (phrase) ya da cümleciği (clause) bağlayabilir.
İki ayrı cümleyi bağlaçlı tek bir cümleye dönüştürürken dikkat etmemiz gereken noktalar şunlardır:
2-1  Önce cümlelerin ortak ve farklı olan öğeleri belirlenir. Farklı olan öğelerden birinin başına bağlacın birinci bölümü, diğerinin başına ikinci bölümü getirilir.
Ali will come with us. Ayşe will come with us.
Yukarıdaki örnekte farklı olan öğeler öznelerdir. Bu durumda kullanacağımız bağlaç bu iki sözcüğü birleştirecektir.
Both Ali and Ayşe will come with us.
Not only Ali but also Ayşe will come with us.
She is beautiful. She is clever.                                                    
She is both beautiful and clever.
She isn't tall. She isn't short.
She is neither tall nor short.
2-2  Bağlaçla elde ettiğimiz yapının cümle içindeki yeri bağladığı öğenin yeriyle aynıdır. Yani iki özneyi bağladıysa cümlenin başında, iki nesneyi bağladıysa yüklemden sonra yer alır.
Ali will help me or Ayşe will help me. (subject + subject)
Either Ali or Ayşe will help me.
I didn't buy a shirt. I didn't buy a skirt, (object + object)
I bought neither a shirt nor a skirt.
The film was too long. The film was boring. (adj. + adj.)
The film was both too long and boring.
She wants to learn whether the job is well-paid. She wants to learn whether she will have any opportunity for promotion. (noun clause + noun clause)
She wants to learn not only whether the job is well-paid but also whether she will have any opportunity for promotion.
2-3  Both ... and iki özneyi bağlıyorsa fiil daima çoğuldur. Diğer bağlaçlarla yükleme yakın olan özne yani ikinci özne temel alınır. Eğer ikinci özne tekilse tekil bir fiil, çoğulsa çoğul bir fiil kullanılır.
Both my parents and my sister are coming tomorrow.
Both Ali and Ayşe were absent from class yesterday.
Not only my parents but also my sister is coming tomorrow.
Not only my sister but also my parents are coming tomorrow.
Not only Ali but also Ayşe was absent from class yesterday.
Neither the manager nor my colleagues approve of the plan.
Neither my colleagues nor the manager approves of the plan.
Either the teacher or the students have made a mistake.
Either the students or the teacher has made a mistake.
2-4  Both ... and   Türkçeye   hem ... hem de biçiminde çevrilir ve olumlu cümlelerde kullanılır.
Both the driver and the passengers were badly injured.
Hem sürücü hem de yolcular ağır yaralandı.          
Yesterday I both cleaned the house and went to the cinema.
Dün hem evi temizledim hem de sinemaya gittim.
Not only ... but also da olumlu cümlelerle kullanılır. Both ... and den daha vurgulu bir ifadedir.
Not only the driver but also the passengers were injured.
Sadece sürücü değil yolcular da yaralandı.
I not only cleaned the house but also went to the cinema. 
Sadece evi temizlemekle kalmadım, sinemaya da gittim.
Neither ... nor   Türkçeye   ne ... ne de biçiminde çevrilir. Kendisi olumsuz bir yapı olduğu için olumlu fiille kullanılır ancak cümlenin anlamı olumsuzdur.
Ali doesn't like fish. Ayşe doesn't like fish.
Neither Ali nor Ayşe likes fish.  (Ne Ali ne de Ayşe balığı sever.)
She didn't study. She didn't watch TV.
She neither studied nor watched TV. (Ne ders çalıştı ne de televizyon izledi.)
Either ... or, ya ...ya da anlamındadır. Genellikle olumlu cümlede kullanılır. Olumsuz cümlede
kullanıldığı zaman neither ... nor ile aynı anlamı verir.
Either my sister or my friend must have taken my book.
Kitabımı ya kardeşim ya da arkadaşım almış olmalı.
She has either fallen asleep or gone somewhere.
Ya uyuyakaldı ya da bir yere gitti.
She has been paralysed since that shocking incident.
She can't either speak or walk. (She can neither speak nor walk.)
Ne konuşabiliyor ne de yürüyebiliyor.





2-5  Not only ... but also iki cümleyi bağlıyorsa, not only'nin bağlı bulunduğu cümle devrik, ikinci cümle düz olur.
The hotel was marvellous. The hotel was cheap.
The hotel was not only marvellous but also cheap.
Not only was the hotel marvellous, but it was also cheap.
Not only ... but also iki cümleyi bağlarken, ikinci cümlenin de kendi öznesi ve yüklemi olmak zorundadır. Bu durumda also cümle içindeki normal yerinde kullanılır. Not only ... but also kalıbı also kaldırılarak da kullanılabilir.
He shouted at the child. He also hit him.
He not only shouted at the child but also hit him.
Not only did he shout at the child, but he (also) hit him.
Çocuğa sadece bağırmakla kalmadı onu dövdü de.
Pollution does harm to people today. It also endangers the survival of human beings in the future.
Pollution not only does harm to people today but also endangers the survival
of human beings in the future.
Not only does pollution do harm to people today, but it (also) endangers the survival of human beings in the future-
Note:       Not only ... but also iki özneyi bağlarken de cümlenin başında yer alır. Ancak bu durumda cümle devrik olmaz.
Not only humans but also other bring things are gravely affected by pollution.
3- SUBORDINATING CONJUNCTIONS
Bir yan cümleyi temel cümleye bağlayan when, before, because, although gibi sözcükler subordinating conjunctions diye isimlendirilir. Bağlacın bulunduğu cümle (adverbial clause) temel cümleden önce ya da sonra gelebilir. Adverbial clause temel cümlenin önünde yer alırsa iki cümle arasında virgül kullanılır. Temel cümleden sonra geliyorsa genellikle virgül kullanılmaz.
Although it was raining, she went out for a walk.
She went out for a walk although it was raining.
Because she was tired, she went straight to bed.
She went straight to bed because she was tired.
After she made a phone call, she left home.
She left home after she made a phone call.
If she were a bit more reasonable, she wouldn't be in this mess.
She wouldn't be in this mess if she were a bit more reasonable.
Bu   bağlaçları,   cümleler   arasında   kurdoğu   ilişki   bakımından   gruplandırarak   şöyle sıralayabiliriz:        
Time

after, before, by the time (that), until, till, since, as long as, while, as, when, whenever, once, as soon as, immediately, now (that)

Place

where, wherever, as far as
Manner

as, as if , as though, how
Cause

because, as, since, seeing that, seeing as, for,  as/so long as, inasmuch as
Purpose

so that/in order that, for the purpose that, for fear that, lest
Concession and Contrast

although, though, even though, while, whereas, much as, however + adj. /adv., no matter + question word
Condition

If, unless, only if, whether or not, even if, providing (that) provided (that), in case, as/so long as, suppose (that), supposing (that)
Result

so + adj. /adv. that, such (a/an) + adj. + noun + that


3-1    ADVERBIAL CLAUSES OF TIME
after
After I finish/have finished this report. I will go out for lunch.
After I finished/had finished the report. I went out for lunch.
before
Before I go out for lunch, I will finish this report.
Before 1 went out for lunch, I finished/had finished the report.
when
When I got home, they were eating dinner.
When I got home, they ate dinner.
When I got home, they had eaten dinner.
When I get home, they will be eating dinner.
When I get home, they will eat dinner.
When I get home, they will have eaten dinner.
When I finish/have finished this report, I will go out for lunch.
When I finished/had finished the report, I went out for lunch.
When I see him tomorrow, I will give him your message.
When I saw him yesterday, I gave him your message.
while, as
While/As I was walking up the street. I rail into an old friend.
While/As I was taking the cake out of the oven. I burnt myself.
While/As I cooked dinner, my son sat in the kitchen and watched me.
My friend looked after my plants while I was on holiday.
My friend will look after my plants while I am on holiday.
They were playing cards while I was working hard on my thesis.
by the time
By the time he comes back, we will have finished the work.
By the time he comes back, it will be too late.
By the time he came back, we had finished the work.
By the time lie came back, it was too late.
until, till
She will wait for me until/till I finish/have finished my work.
She waited for me until/till I finished/had finished my work.
I had never heard of that author until/till you told me about her.

since
I am very happy to see him.
We haven't seen each other since we left school.
I was very happy to see him, because we hadn't seen each other since we left school.
as soon as, once, the moment, immediately
As soon as/Once/The moment/Immediately I saw him, I understood that something was wrong.
As soon as I finished/had finished my work, I went out.
As soon as I finish/have finished my work, I will go out.
as long as, so long as
I won't forgive him as/so long as I live.
I never bought anything from that shop as/so long as I lived there.
whenever, every time

I greet him whenever/every time I see him.
I greeted (used to greet) him whenever/every time I saw him.
the first time, the second time, the next time, the last time, etc.
The first time I went to Ankara. I stayed at a three-star hotel.
The next time I go there. I won't stay at the same hotel.
The last time 1 went there. I visited many friends.
The last time I saw him, he was working for a computing firm.
now (that)
Now that we have finished our work, we can go out for a walk.
Now that school is over, he can start to look for a job.
no sooner ... than, hardly/scarcely ... when
I had no sooner received his letter than he himself arrived.
I had scarcely/hardly received his letter when he himself arrived
NOTES:
a)            Zaman bağlaçları, eylemler araşınca zaman açısından ilişki kurduğu için iki cümle arasında tense uyuşması olmak zorundadır. (Yukarıda verilen örnekleri dikkatle inceleyiniz.)
b)            Zaman bağlacının bulunduğu cümlede (adverbial clause) Future tense (be going to, will) kullanılmaz. Eylem gelecekte yapıLscakbile olsa Simple Present tense (do/does) ya da eylemin gelecekte tamamlanmış olacağını vurgulamak için Present Perfect tense (have/has done) kullanılır.
Bir zaman bağlacı olarak when için de bu kural geçerlidir. Ancak when bir noun clause ya da relative clause ile kullanıldığında, bağlı bulunduğu cümlenin tense'i Future tense olabilir. Ya da temel cümle ile tense uyuşması olmayabilir.
When he came, I was studying. (adverbial clause of time)
When he comes, we will study together.
I don't know when he will come, (noun clause)
I don't know when he came.
Do you remember the day when the meeting will be held?
Do you remember the day when the meeting was held? (relative clause)
c)            Now (that) past tense'lerle kullanılmaz. Now (that) in bağlı bulunduğu cümlede Simple Present ya da Present Perfect tense kullanılır.
Now that you are eighteen, you can get a driver's license.
Now that we have finished our work, we can drink coffee.
d)            After, before, when, as soon as ve as ile just kullanarak eylemler arasındaki ilişkiye tezlik kazandırabiliriz.
Just as we sat down to eat, the phone rang.
Tam yemeğe oturduk ki telefon çaldı.
Just after you left the office, a client of yours came.
Sen bürodan çıktıktan hemen sonra bir müşterin geldi.
Just before he came, we had eaten our dinner.
O gelmeden hemen önce biz yemeğimizi yemiştik.
Just when I got to the office, they were signing the contract.
Tam ben büroya gittiğimde kontratı imzalıyorlardı.
e)            Hardly/scarcely ... when  ile  no sooner ... than kalıplan genellikle devrik cümle yapısıyla kullanılırlar. Bu kalıplar iki eyfem arasında geçen sûrenin çok kısa olduğunu vurgular ve as soon as ile aynı anlamı ifede ederler.
She had hardly gone to bed when the phone rang.
Hardly had she gone to bed when the phone rang.
She had no sooner gone to bed than the phone rang.
No sooner had she gone to bed than the phone rang.
Henüz yatmıştı ki telefon çaldı.
f)             After ile afterwards arasındaki ayrıma dikkat ediniz. After bağlaç olarak kendinden sonra cümle: preposition olarak da isim alır: after the class, after the meeting, etc. Afterwards bir zarftır ve "later, after that" anlamını verir.
After she came, we went out.
We went out after she came.  (O geldikten sonra dışan çıktık.)
She came. Afterwards, we went out.
She came. We went out afterwards.   (O geldi. Ondan sonra dışan çıktık.)

3-2 ADVERBIAL CLAUSES SHOWING CAUSE AND EFFECT RELATIONSHIPS
Neden-sonuç ilişkisi bildiren bağlaçlar şunlardır: because, as, since, seeing that, as/so long as, inasmuch as. Bu bağlaçlar nedeni ifade eden cümlenin başında kullanılırlar. Temel cümle ise sonucu belirtir. Adverbial clause temel cümleden önce ya da sonra gelebilir.
Cause: I was ill.                  Effect: I didn't go to work.
Because I was ill, I didn't go to work.
I didn't go to work because I was ill.
Since she wants to lose weight quickly, she is on a strict diet.
Çabuk kilo vermek istediği için sıkı bir perhiz yapıyor.
As/so long as it is raining heavily, I think we can't go out for a walk.
As it was very cold in the garden, we decided to eat inside the restaurant.
Seeing that the traffic was rather heavy, we decided to take the back roads to work.
Seeing as you've got lots of money, you can pay for the drinks.
NOTES:
a)            Neden-sonuç ilişkisi bildiren cümlelerde temel cümle ile yan cümle arasında tense uyuşması
zorunlu değildir. Ancak yine de eylemlerin zaman bakımından ilişkisine dikkat etmek gerekir. Örneğin, "Because the grocery bag was heavy" ifadesini "I can't carry it."biçiminde tamamlayamayız. Çünkü çantanın ağır olması geçmiş zamana aitse onu taşıyamama eylemi de geçmiş zamanla ifade edilmelidir. Bu nedenle bu cümle şu biçimde tamamlanabilir:
Because the grocery bag was heavy, I couldn't carry it.
Şimdi şu örnekleri inceleyelim:
Because he drank too much last night, he feels terrible now.
Because he drank too much last night, I drove the car back from the party.
Yukarıdaki cümlelerden birincisinde 'drink' eylemi geçmişte gerçekleşmiştir. 'Feel' eylemi ise konuşmanın geçtiği anı ifade etmektedir. Bu yüzcen 'drink' past tense ile 'feel' present tense ile ifade edilmiştir. İkinci cümlede ise 'drink' eylemi ile onun sonucu olan 'drive' aynı zamana ait eylemlerdir. Bu yüzden her ikisi de past tense ile ifade edilmiştir.
b)            Neden-sonuç ilişkisi, bağlaçların yanı sıra başka yapılarla da ifade edilebilir: because of, on account of, thanks to, owing to, due to. Bu yapılar kendilerinden sonra isim, zamir ya da isim-fiil (gerund) alırlar.

               Because
Since
As
As/so long as + a clause, main clause.
In as much as
Seeing that, Seeing as


Because of
On account of
Thanks to + noun/pronoun/gerund, main clause.
Owing to
Due to



Cause: She was ill.              Effect: She couldn't go to school.
Because she was ill, she couldn't go to school.
Hasta olduğu için okula gidemedi. 
Because of her illness, she couldn't go to school.
Hastalığı yüzünden okula gidemedi.
I was late for work yesterday because the traffic was heavy.
I was late for work yesterday because of the heavy traffic.
As prices rise dramatically, it's difficult to make ends meet.
Owing to dramatically rising prices, it's difficult to make ends meet.
Since employment is limited in rural areas, many people are moving to big cities.
Due to the limited employment in rural areas, many people are moving to big cities.
Bazen isim kalabalık bir sözcük öbeğinden oluşabilir. Bu durumda isim ile cümle arasındaki ayrımı yaparken dikkatli olunuz. İngiİizce’de Subject + verb diziminin bir cümle oluşturduğunu anımsayınız.
Because she bought me a very expensive present for my birthday, I now feel obliged to buy her an expensive one too. (Subject + verb, a clause)
Because of the very expensive present she bought me for my birthday, I now feel obliged to buy her an expensive one too. (noun + relative clause = "doğum günümde bana aldığı çok pahalı hediye" yine isimdir.)
Because there has been construction work on the highway going on for some time now, we have been taking another road to work.
On account of the construction work on the highway going on for some time now, we have been taking another road to work.
c)            Because of, on account of, due to ve owing to yapılarından sonra the fact that kullanırsak devamında isim değil cümle gelir.
Due to her negligence of the children, they became disobedient.
Due to the fact that she neglected the children, they became disobedient,
Owing to her not studying regularly, she failed the exam.
Owing to the fact that she didn't study regularly, she failed the exam.

 d)            Therefore, consequently ve as a result neden-sonuç ilişkisi bildiren transition'lardır. Transition, bir düşünceden başka bir düşünceye geçişi sağlayan sözcük ya da sözcük grubudur. Transition ikinci cümlenin yani sonuç cümlesinin başına gelir ve iki cümle yer değiştiremez.
 Cause: It's raining heavily.         Effect: We can't go out.
Because it's raining heavily, we can't go out.
We can't go out because it's raining heavily.
It's raining heavily.    Therefore, we can't go out.
Consequently, we can't go out.
As a result, we can't go out.
It's raining heavily, so we can't go out.
           She didn't feel well. Therefore, she left the office early.
She didn't feel well. She, therefore, left the office early.
She didn't feel well. She left the office early, therefore.
(Note: Birinci cümleden sonra nokta yerine noktalı virgül koyup ikinci cümleye geçebiliriz. Bu durumda cümleye küçük harfle başlanır.)
Bir transition cümle içinde üç yerde bulunabilir: cümlenin başında, özneden sonra (yardımcı fiil varsa, yardımcı fiille yüklem arasında) ve cümlenin sonunda. Genellikle transition virgülle cümlenin devamından ayrılır.
Yukarıda tablodaki cümleler aynı anlamı ifade etmektedirler. Ancak kullanım farkları vardır.
Because, as, since gibi bağlaçlar bir yan cümleyi temel cümleye bağlayan sözcüklerdir. Yan cümle temel cümleden önce ya da sonra gelebilir.
Therefore, consequently ve as a result "bu yüzden, bu nedenle" anlamını veren geçiş sözcükleridir ve ikinci cümlede kullanılırlar. So, iki bağımsız cümleyi birleştiren bir bağlaçtır ve o da therefore vb. gibi sonuç cümlesinde kullanılır. Ancak so cümle içinde transition'lar gibi yer değiştiremez ve genellikle kendinden önce bir virgül alır.
e)            As a result of ve as a consequence of, "because of" anlamındadır ve kendilerinden sonra noun/pronoun alarak nedeni ifade eden cümlede kullanılırlar.
He came late. Consequently, we missed the bus.
We missed the bus as a consequence of his coming late.
(Onun geç gelmesi yüzünden otobüsü kaçırdık.)
She was busy. As a result, she couldn't help me.
As a result of her being busy, she couldn't help me.

f)            So ... that ve such ... that bağlaçları da neden-sonuç ilişkisi ifade eder *.
Cause: It was too windy.                 Effect: We couldn't go sailing.
It was so windy that we couldn't go sailing.
Cause: It was a wonderful film.      Effect: I watched it again.
It was such a wonderful film that I watched it again.
g)            For "because" ile aynı anlamı verir ancak kullanımı daha kısıtlıdır.
For, neden belirten cümlenin başında kullanılır ancak bağlı bulunduğu cümle ikinci bölümde yer alır.
He finished his meal quickly, for he hadn't eaten anything since the morning.
(For'un bağlı bulunduğu cûmie başa gelemez.)
He finished his meal quickly because he hadn't eaten anything since the morning.
Because he hadn't eaten anything since the morning, he finished his meal quickly.

 For, "not, but" gibi başka bir bağlaçla kullanılmaz ancak because bu şekilde kullanılabilir.
I got annoyed, not because he came late but because he didn't inform me that he was going to be late.
Geç kaldığı için değil, geç kalacağım bana bildirmediği için kızdım.
Because, bir soruya yanıt olarak kullanılabilir ancak for, as ve since bu biçimde kullanılmaz.
- Why were you late for work?       
- Because I missed the bus.
h)            İki cümle arasında neden-sonuç ilişkisi, incelediğimiz bu bağlaç ve kalıpların dışında başka sözcük ya da yapılarla da ifade edilebilir. Şimdi aşağıdaki cümleleri dikkatle inceleyiniz.
           Cause                                                                                         Effect
Man hunts whales in large numbers;    therefore,                       they face extinction.
as a result,
as a result of this,
consequently,
as a consequence of this,
because of this,thus

Cause                                                                                Effect
Man hunts whales in large numbers.    So                          they face extinction.
Man hunts whales in             such large numbers that                  they face extinction.
Man hunts                             so many whales that                        they face extinction.

Because                             Man hunts whales in large numbers, they face extinction.
As
Since
Due to the fact that
Owing to the fact that

Because of                   man's hunting whales in large numbers,     they face extinction.
On account of
Due to
Owing to
Thanks to
As a result of
As a consequence of

Man's hunting whales in large numbers    causes                          the danger of their
                                                                  leads to                        becoming extinct.
                                                                  results in        
                                                                  is the reason for
                                                                  is responsible for


Effect                                                                                             Cause

Whales' facing extinction                           is a result of                man's hunting them in
                                                                  is due to                       large numbers.
                                                                  is a consequence of
                                                                  results from

Whales face extinction,                 for                   man hunts them in large numbers.

3-3 EXPRESSING PURPOSE
Amaç bildiren yapılar şunlardır: so that, in order that, for the purpose that, for fear that, lest.
a)         So that ve in order that aynı anlama sahiptir ve kullanım kuralları da aynıdır. Ancak in order that daha az kullanılan bir bağlaçtır. So that ve in order that' in bağlı bulunduğu cümle, temel cümledeki eylemin yapılış amacını ifade eder.
She is learning computing. She wants to find a better job.
She is learning computing because she wants to find a better job.
She is learning computing so that/in order that she can find a better job.
I got up early because I didn't want to be late for my interview.
I got up early so that/in order that I wouldn't be late for my interview.


So that/in order that temel cümle ile yan cümle arasında tense uyuşması gerektirir. Bağlı bulundukları cümle genellikle ikinci bölümde yer alır ancak cümlenin başında da bulunabilir. Temel cümle ile yan cümlede kullanabileceğimiz tense ve modal' lar şunlardır:
Present /Future

Main clause                                         Subordinate Clause am/is/are doing     +     so that  +   do/does
do/does                                                am/is/are
be going to                                           can
will do                                                 will
have/has done                                      will be able to                                                              may

Past

did                  +     so that    +             would
had done                                              could
                                                            would be able to
                                                            might

She is studying very bard this year so that she can pass the university exam.
I want to finish all the work today so that I will be free tomorrow.
They have bought a bigger house so that the children can each get their own room.
I closed the door so that the noise in the next room wouldn't bother me so much.
She went to İzmir so that she could see her friends.
So that/in order that Türkçeye üç şekilde çevrilebilir:
I withdrew some money from the bank so that I would have plenty on me while shopping.
1-         Alışveriş yaparken yanımda fazla para olsun diye bankadan biraz para çektim.
2-         Alışveriş yaparken yanımda fazla para olması için bankadan biraz para çektim.
3-         Bankadan biraz para çektim ki böylece alışveriş yaparken yanımda fazla para olacaktı.
a)         For the purpose that, so that ile aynı anlamı verir.
She is now attending a conversation club for the purpose that/so that she can practise speaking English.
Lest "for fear that, in case" anlamındadır ve genellikle should ile kullanılır. Temel cümlenin Tense' ine uygun olarak Simple Present vc Simple Past tense de kullanılabilir. Lest Türkçeye olumsuz olarak çevrilir.
We all spoke in quiet voices lest we should wake the baby.
Bebeği uyandırmayalım diye hepimiz alçak sesle konuştuk.
We all spoke in quiet voices for fear that we might wake the baby.
Bebeği uyandırırız korkusuyla hepimiz alçak sesle konuştuk.
b)         For the purpose of ve for fear of kendinden sonra gerund alır.
She went to her husband's office for the purpose of seeing him.
We all spoke in quiet voices for fear of waking the baby.
c)         Amaç bildirmek için to/in order to/so as to + infinitive de kullanabiliriz.
She lay on the sofa because she wanted to rest for a while.
She lay on the sofa so that she could rest for a while.
She lay on the sofa to rest for a while.
in order to rest for a while.
so as to rest for a while.
Olumsuz cümlede in order not to, so as not to kullanılır.
We kept the news secret because we didn't want to upset her.
We kept the news secret so that we wouldn't upset her.
We kept the news secret in order not to upset her.
so as not to upset her.
To, in order to ve so as to cümlenin başında da kullanılabilir.
To be successful, you should work harder.
In order to be successful, you should work harder.
So as to be successful, you should work harder.
d)         So that ile in case * arasındaki ayrıma dikkat ediniz. In case' in, bir eylemin
gerçekleşmesi olasılığına karşı önceden hazırlanmayı ifade ettiğini daha önce görmüştük.             So that ise bir eylemin gerçekleşmesi için yapılan hazırlığı ifade eder. Şu iki örneği karşılaştıralım:
I will take my umbrella with me in case it rains/should rain.
I will take my umbrella with me so that I don't get wet in the rain.
Birinci cümleyi Türkçeye 'Yağmur yağarsa diye şemsiyemi yanıma alacağım.' biçiminde çevirebiliriz. Yani yağmurun yağması olasılığına karşı hazırlıklı olmak istiyoruz. İkinci cümleyi ise 'Yağmurda, ıslanmayayım diye (ıslanmamak için) şemsiyemi yanıma alacağını.' biçiminde çevirebiliriz. Buradan çıkaracağımız anlam 'Yağmur yağıyor ve ben ıslanmak istemiyorum. Bu yüzden şemsiyemi yanıma alacağım.' olabilir.
Ancak so that' li cümleyi biraz değiştirerek yazarsak, in case' li cümlenin anlamını elde edebiliriz.
I will take my umbrella with me so that I don't get wet if it rains.
Yağmur yağarsa ıslanmayayım diye (ıslanmamak için) şemsiyemi yanıma alacağım.
I want to do some shopping in case my parents come at the weekend.
Hafta sonunda annemler gelirse diye biraz alışveriş yapmak istiyorum.
I want to do some shopping so that I will have plenty of food at home if my parents come at the weekend.
Hafta sonunda annemler gelirse evde bolca yiyecek olsun diye biraz alışveriş yapmak istiyorum.
a)         Amaç bildiren so that ile sonuç bildiren so bazen karışıklık yaratabiliyor. Çünkü sonuç bildiren so, çok yaygın olmamakla birlikte, so that biçiminde kullanılabiliyor. Bunların ayrımını yaparken şu noktalara dikkat etmeliyiz:
1.   Sonuç bildiren so that ikinci cümlenin başında kullanılır ve genellikle kendinden önce bir virgül gelir.
She studied very little, so that she got a rather low grade.
Çok az çalıştı. Bu yüzden çok düşük bir not aldı.
Amaç bildiren so that cümlenin başında da yer alabilir.
She studied very hard so that she could pass the exam.
So that she could pass the exam, she studied very hard.
Sınavı geçebilmek için çok çalıştı.
2.   Amaç bildiren so that' den sonra Simple Past tense kullanılmaz. Sonuç bildiren so that' den sonra ise Simple Past tense yaygın olarak kullanılır.
They bought a large house, so that the children had their own rooms. (result)
Büyük bir ev aldılar. Böylece çocukların kendi odaları oldu.
They bought a large house so that the children would have their own rooms. (purpose)
Çocukların kendi odaları olsun diye büyük bir ev aldılar.
3.   Could, couldn't, would be able to, wouldn't be able to amaç bildiren so that ile çok sık kullanılır. Ancak bu bağlaçla was/were able to kullanılmaz. Was/were able to, sonuç bildiren so (that) ile kullanılabilir.
She studied hard, so that she was able to pass the exam.
Çok çalıştı. Böylece sınavı geçebildi, (result)
She studied hard so that she could pass the exam.
Sınavı geçebilmek için çok çalıştı, (purpose)
Ancak couldn't her iki yapıyla da kullanıldığı için karışıklığa neden olabiliyor. Bu durumda so that' in amaç mı yoksa sonuç mu bildirdiğini parçanın bütününden ya da konuşmanın akışından anlayabiliriz.
They locked the door so that he couldn't go out.
Bu cümleden şu iki anlamı çıkarabiliriz:
Tney locked the door, so that he wasn't able to go out.
Kapıyı kilitlediler. Bu yüzden dışan çıkamadı. (result)
They locked the door so that he wouldn't be able to go out.
O dışarı çıkamasın diye kapıyı kilitlediler. (purpose)

3-4   CONCESSION AND CONTRAST
Karşıtlık bildiren bağlaçlar şunlardır: although, though, even though, while, whereas, much as, however + adj./adv., no matter + question ward, as.
Bu bağlaçlar, belirtilen bir durumdan beklenmeyen bir sonucun çıktığını ifade etmemizi sağlar.
Although I was ill, I went to work.
She took a walk even though it was raining heavily.
Anımsayacağınız gibi, neden-sonuç ilişkisi bildiren because, as, since gibi bağlaçların beklenilen bir sonuç ifade ettiğini görmüştük. Karşıtlık bildiren bağlaçlar ise beklenmeyen bir sonuç ifade ederler. Şu iki örneği inceleyelim:
Because she studied hard, she passed the exam. (expected result)
Although she studied hard, she didn't pass the exam. (unexpected result)
Karşıtlık bildiren bağlaçlar, neden-sonuç ihşkisi bildiren bağlaçlarda da olduğu gibi, tense uyuşması gerektirmez. Ancak yine de iki eylemin zaman yönünden ilişkisine dikkat etmek gerekir.
Although it was cold yesterday, I took my regular walk. (Eylemlerin her ikisi de dün gerçekleşti.)
Although it was cold yesterday, It is quite warm today.
Although it has been quite mild for some time, snow is expected in the coming days.
Although she has been learning English for over four years, she still can't speak it properly.
Although she had been learning English for over four years, she still couldn't speak it properly.
a)            Although, though, even though
Bu bağlaçların üçü de aynı anlamı verir. Even though biraz daha vurgulu bir anlatımdır. Bağlacın bağlı bulunduğu cümle temel cümleden önce ya da sonra gelebilir.
Although she is quite good at music, she doesn't want to be a musician.
Though
Even though
She doesn't want to be a musician   although she is quite good at music.
though
even though
Müzikte çok iyi olduğu halde/olmasına rağmen, müzisyen olmak istemiyor.
Though iki bağımsız cümleyi birleştirmek için de kullanılabilir. Bu kullanımıyla though, "but, yet" anlamını verir ve genellikle ikinci cümlelin sonunda kullanılır ama ikinci cümlenin başında da yer alabilir.
I didn't like the film, though I liked its background music.
I didn't like the film; I liked tıs background music, though.
I didn't like the film, but/yet I liked its background music.
Filmi beğenmedim ama fon müziğini beğendim.


b)            In spite of ve despite, 'although" anlamını veren preposition'lardır. In spite of ve despite' dan sonra bir cümle değil, isim, zamir ya da isim-fiil gelir.
Although/Though/Even though + a clause, main clause.
Although it was rainy, they went on a picnic.
In spite of/Despite + noun/pronoun/gerund, main clause.
In spite of the rain, they went on a picnic.
Though she was inexperienced, she got the job.
Despite her inexperience/her being inexperienced, she got the job.
Even though the food we were offered at the party looked wonderful, it tasted awful.
In spite of the wonderful look of the food we were offered at the party, it tasted awful.
Sue rejected the job with the accounting firm even though she was offered a big salary.
Kendisine yüksek bir maaş önerildiği halde Sue muhasebe şirketindeki işi reddetti.
Sue rejected the job with the accounting firm despite the big salary she was
offered.
      
Kendisine önerilen yüksek maaşa rağmen Sue muhasebe şirketindeki işi reddetti.
c)            Despite ve in spite of dan sonra "the fact that" kullanırsak, devamında bir clause gelir.
Despite her old age, she still takes long walks every day.
Despite the fact that she is old, she still takes long walks every day.
In spite of practising every day, she is still bad at driving.
In spite of the fact that she practises every day, she is still bad at driving.

d)            As, much as
Much as "although" anlamını verir ve kendinden sonra bir clause gelir.
Much as I like sports, I dislike football.
Although I like sports, I dislike football.
Sporu sevmeme rağmen futbolu sevmem.
Much as he tried, be couldn't persuade his father.
Although he tried hard, he couldn't persuade his father.
Çok uğraştığı halde babasını ikna edemedi.

As, karşıtlık bildiren bir bağlaç olarak, bir sıfat ya da zarftan sonra kullanılır ve kendisini bir cümle izler. Aynı yapıda though da kullanılır.
Adj. / Adv. + as / though + subject + verb
Hard as I try, my cooking is not so good as yours.
Hard though I try, my cooking is not so good as yours.
Though/Although I try hard, ray cooking is not so good as yours.
Çok uğraştığım halde benim yemeklerim seninkiler kadar iyi olmuyor.
Patient though/as he is, he couldn't bear the noise the children were making in the street.
Although he is patient, he couldn't bear the noise the children were making in the street.
Sabırlı olduğu halde sokakta çocukların yaptığı gürültüye katlanamadı.
Quickly though/as they worked, they failed to finish the work in time.
Although they worked quickly, they failed to finish the work in time.
Hızlı çalıştıkları halde işi vaktinde bitiremediler.
e)            However + adj./adv., no matter + question word
However ve no matter karşıtlık bildiren bağlaç olarak aynı anlamı taşırlar. Her ikisi de "although"un ifade ettiği anlamı verir ancak daha vurguludurlar.
However + adj. /adv.         + subject + verb, main clause
No matter + QW                + subject + verb, main clause
However ve no matter'ın bağlı bulunduğu cümle, temel cümleden önce ya da sonra yer alabilir. No matter'dan sonra daima bir soru sözcüğü kullanılır.
However late it is, you can call me for help.
No matter how late it is, you can call me for help.
Ne kadar geç olursa olsun, yardım için beni arayabilirsin.
However hard I tried, I couldn't succeed.
No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't succeed.
Ne kadar uğraştıysam da başaramadım.
You must know how to stand alone however many friends you have.
You must know how to stand alone no matter how many friends you have.
Ne kadar çok arkadaşın olursa olsun kendi başına ayakta durmayı bilmelisin.
No matter +  question word yapısının verdiği  anlamı wherever,  whatever,  whoever gibi sözcüklerle de verebiliriz.
No matter what you do, don't join a street gang.
Whatever you do, don't join a street gang.
Ne yaparsan yap ama bir gençlik çetesine karışma.
No matter where you go, keep some money in reserve.
Wherever you go, keep some money in reserve.
 Nereye gidersen git, kenarda biraz para bulundur.
No matter who has taken my book, I want it back at once.
Whoever has taken my book, I want it back at once.
Kitabımı kim aldıysa hemen geri vermesini istiyorum.

f)            However, nevertheless, nonetheless
Bu sözcükler karşıtlık bildiren geçiş sözcükleridir (transitions). İkinci cümlede yani sonucu ifade eden cümlede kullanılırlar ve cümleler yer değiştiremez.
Although it was cold, she went out for a walk.
It was cold.   However, she went out for a walk.
Nevertheless,
Nonetheless,
Hava soğuktu. Buna rağmen/Yine de yürüyüşe çıktı.
She studied hard;   however, she couldn't pass the exam.
nevertheless,
nonetheless,      
Çok çalıştı ama yine de sınavı geçemedi.
g)            But...anyway, but...still, yet...still, still
Bu bağlaçlar iki tam cümleyi birleştirir. İkinci cümlenin başında kullanılırlar ve kendilerinden önce bir virgül gelir ya da birinci cümleyi noktalayıp, büyük harfle ikinci cümleyi başlatabilirler. Bu bağlaçların hepsi "ama yine de" anlamını verir.
It was cold, but she went out for a walk anyway.
It was cold, but she still went out for a walk.
It was cold, yet she still went out for a walk.
It was cold. Still, she went out for a walk.
Hava soğuktu ama yine de yürüyüşe çıktı.

g)            Showing Direct Opposition
Tam bir karşıtlık ifade eden yapılar şunlardır: while, whereas, but, however, on the other
hand, in contrast, on the contrary
. Bu yapılar, iki nesneyi karşılaştırırken, birinin diğerinin
tam tersi olduğunu ifade etmemizi sağlar.                  
Ayşe is hardworking. Her brother is lazy.
Ayşe is hardworking, but her brother is lazy.
Ayşe is hardworking, while her brother is lazy.
Whereas Ayşe is hardworking, her brother is lazy.
Ayşe is hardworking; however, her brother is lazy.
Ayşe is hardworking. Her brother, on the other hand, is lazy.
Whereas ve while bağlaçtır ve bağlı bulundukları cümle birinci ya da ikinci sırada yer alabilir.
Whereas/while some countries are rich, others are poor.
Some countries are rich, whereas/while others are poor.
Bazı ülkeler zenginken, bazıları fakirdir.
But iki bağımsız cümleyi birleştiren bir bağlaçtır. İkinci cümlenin başında yer alır.
Some countries are rich, but others are poor.
However ve on the other hand, "oysa, ise" anlamlarını veren geçiş sözcükleridir. On the other hand genellikle ikinci cümlenin öznesinden sonra kullanılır.
Some countries are rich. However, others are poor.           
Bazı ülkeler zengindir.
Fakat/Oysa bazıları fakirdir.
Some countries are rich. Others, on the other hand, are poor.
Bazı ülkeler zengindir. Bazıları ise fakirdir.

NOTE:       "On the one hand ... On the other hand" bir olayın çelişen iki yönünü ifade ederken kullanılır.
She has a dilemma and she doesn't know what to do.
On the one hand, she very much wants to go abroad for her university education.
On the other hand, she knows that her family will have difficulty affording it.
Çok müşkül bir durumda ve ne yapacağını bilemiyor.
Bir yandan, yurt dışında okumayı çok istiyor. Öte yandan, ailesinin bunu karşılamak için zorlanacağını biliyor.

In contrast, iki nesneyi karşılaştırırken kullanılır ve tam bir karşıtlık ifade eder.
Southern Turkey has hot humid summers. Northern Turkey in contrast, has summers which are cool and windy.
In contrast to/with, prepositional phrase'dir. Kendinden sonra isim gelir.
In contrast to his sister, Jack is a very tidy boy.
Kızkardeşinin aksine Jack çok düzenli bir çocuktur.
On the  contrary de bu grupta yer alır ancak kullanımı çok kısıtlıdır.  On the contrary,
söylenen bir ifadenin doğru olmadığını, tam tersi bir durumun söz konusu olduğunu ifade eder. Özellikle on the other hand ile on the contrary birbirine karıştırılır. Aradaki ayrımı şu örneklerle inceleyelim:
You say she is very beautiful. I, on the contrary, find her rather ugly.
Onun çok güzel olduğunu söylüyorsun. Aksine ben onu çok çirkin buluyorum.
I don't find her particularly beautiful. On the other hand she is not ugly either. Onu çok güzel bulmuyorum ama çirkin de değil.
Sue:       It's very cold today.
Jack:    No, it isn't very cold today. On the contrary, it's quite warm today.                    
Bugün hava çok soğuk değil. Aksine oldukça ılık.
Sue:       It's very cold today.
Jack:    It's not very cold today. On the other hand, it is not warm either.
Bugün hava çok soğuk değil ama ılık da değil.

4-     REDUCTION of ADVERBIAL CLAUSES to MODIFYING PHRASES
Bir zarf tümceciğini sözcük öbeği biçiminde kısaltabiliriz. Kısaltma yapabilmenin temel koşulu, yan cümle ile temel cümledeki öznenin aynı olmasıdır. Özneler farklı ise kısaltma yapamayız.  Kısaltma yapabileceğimiz bağlaçlar ve kısaltma biçimleri şöyledir:
a)         After, before, while
Active:     While I was reading a book last night, I fell asleep.
While reading a book last night, I fell asleep.
Reading a book last night, I fell asleep.
Passive:   While it was being carried, the table got broken.
While being carried, the table got broken.
Active:    After we ate/had eaten dinner, we went out for a walk.
After eating/ After having eaten dinner, we went out for a walk.
Having eaten dinner, we went out for a walk.
Passive:   After he was/had been promoted, he became more interested in his job.
After being/having been promoted, he became more interested in his job.
Having been promoted, he became more interested in his job.
Active:    Before she came to this city, she lived in the country.
Before coming to this city, she lived in the country.
Passive:   Before she was elected Prime Minister, she worked as a university teacher.
Before being elected Prime Minister, she worked as a university teacher.
(Note:      Kısaltma yaparken "before" atılamaz.)
b)         When
When, arka arkaya yapılmış eylemleri ifade eden iki cümleyi bağlıyorsa; active cümlede when + clause yerine on/upon + doing kullanılır.
When she finished her report, she left the office.
On/upon finishing her report, she left the office.
Passive cümlede ya da "be" fiilinin asıl fiil olduğu cümlede, özne ve "be" fiili atılır: when + past participle/a noun kullanılır.
When he was a young man, he was very ambitious.
When a young man, he was very ambitious.
When they are used too often, sedative drugs may cause addiction.
When used too often, sedative drugs may cause addiction.
When,  bazı cümlelerde "while" anlamında kullanılır. Yani temel cümle ile yan cümledeki eylemler aynı zamanlıdır. Bu durumda kısaltma, when + doing biçiminde yapıbr.
When you are travelling abroad, make sure you have traveller's cheques with you.
When travelling abroad, make sure you have traveller's cheques with you.

c)         Until, since
Until, genellikle passive cümlelerde kısaltılabilir.
Prepositions must be studied until they are learnt by heart.
Prepositions must be studied until learnt by heart.
Since, "...den beri" anlamındaysa since + doing biçiminde kısaltılır.
Since I came to this city. I hare lived in the same house.
Since coming to this city. I have lived in the same house.
d)         Neden - sonuç ilişkisi bildiren clause'larda as, since, because gibi bağlaçlar atılarak doing/having done kullanılır.
Because she is married now, she has more responsibilities.
Being married now, she has more responsibilities.
Since she was tired, she went to bed early.
Being tired, she went to bed early.
Eğer adverbial clause'daki eylem temel cümledeki eylemden önce gerçekleşmişse having done
kullanılır.        
Because I sprained my ankle yesterday, I now have difficulty walking.
Having sprained my ankle yesterday, I now have difficulty walking.
Because I had sprained my ankle, I could hardly walk.
Having sprained my ankle, 1 could hardly walk.         f
Adverbial clause'da be + adjective kullanılmışsa, bu yapıyı being + adjective ya da sadece adjective biçiminde kısaltabiliriz.
Because she is responsible for opening the office, she has to be there early.
Being responsible for opening the office, she has to be there early.
Responsible for opening the office, she has to be there early.
Olumsuz cümlelerde not doing/not having done kullanılır.
Because I don't know her phone number, I can't call her.
Not knowing her phone number, I can't call her.
Because she hadn't slept well the night before, she felt tired in the morning.
Not having slept well the night before, she felt tired in the morning.
Neden-sonuç ilişkisi bildiren cümlelerde, temel cümleyle yan cümlenin özneleri farklıyken de kısaltma yapmak mümkündür. Ancak kısaltmada her iki cümlenin de öznesini belirtmek gerekir. Örnekleri inceleyiniz:
Because our car is broken-down, we have been travelling to work by bus since last week.
Our car being broken-down, we have been travelling to work by bus since last week.
As the weather was cold, we had to cancel the picnic.
The weather being cold, we had to cancel the picnic.
As the manager went abroad for a conference, the assistant manager will preside over the meeting.
The manager having gone abroad, the assistant manager will preside over the meeting.
Because there was a serious accident on the highway, we had to wait for a long time.
There being a serious accident on the highway, we had to wait for a long time.
e)         Koşul cümlesi oluşturan bağlaçlardan if, unless, as if, ve whether...or kısaltılmış yapıyla kullanılabilir.
If they were collected together, his poems would fill a volume.
If collected together, his poems would fill a volume.
Unless this case is explained properly, it will continue to confuse people.
Unless explained properly, this case will continue to confuse people.
She was speaking strangely, as if she was trying to conceal something from us.
She was speaking strangely, as if trying to conceal something from us.
f)          Çok yaygın olmamakla birlikte, although da kısaltılmış yapıyla kullanılabilir.
Although their products are not as good as ours, they are more expensive.
Although not as good as ours, their products are more expensive.
(Bizimkiler kadar iyi olmadığı halde onların ürünleri daha pahalı.)
Although it was constructed many years ago, the building is still in good condition.
Although constructed many years ago, the building is still in good condition.

5-     CONTINUING THE SAME IDEA
Herhangi bir konuda belirttiğimiz bir görüşe ilave yaparken "also" anlamında moreover, furthermore, in addition ve besides kullanırız. Bu sözcükler "ayrıca, yanı sıra, ilaveten" anlamlarını verir. Bu yapıları kullanırken dikkat etmemiz gereken nokta, önce belirttiğimiz ifade ile çelişmeyen görüşler ilave etmcmizdir. Yani bir şeyin iyi bir özelliğini belirtmişsek, bir başka iyi özelliğini ekleyebiliriz.
I want to rent that house. It's very large, with four rooms.
Moreover, it has a wonderful sea view.
Furthermore,
In addition,
Besides
Running a big car has certain disadvantages.
First of all, it's expensive to run because it uses more petrol than the smaller models;
moreover, it's difficult to park.
furthermore,
in addition,
besides,
In addition to ve besides, preposition olarak kullanılır ve kendilerinden sonra isim gelir.
In addition to her beauty, she has intelligence and charm.
Besides
A well-balanced diet should contain other nutrients in addition to/besides vitamins and proteins.
In addition to/Besides working in an office during the day, she is attending evening classes to improve her secretarial skills.
 NOTE:       Beside ve besides arasındaki aynma dikkat ediniz.
Beside, "next to" anlamında bir preposition'dır.
Their house is beside the sea. (Onların evi deniz kenarında.)
She sat beside me at the meeting. (O, toplantıda benim yanımda oturdu.)
Besides, "ilaveten, yanı sıra" anlamını veren bir preposition'dır.
Istanbul has lots of natural attractions besides its historical places.
(Tarihi yerlerin yanı sıra İstanbul'un pek çok doğal güzellikleri de vardır.)

1 yorum: